Weight-loss Challenge Progress

Stage 1 - 4 kg down!


Sunday, November 29, 2009

Back to work - Part II

I can't blog properly at the moment because a) I don't have any exciting races to report, and b) my brain isn't working properly since acquiring glandular fever. It started with what I thought was a strained neck muscle and normal fatigue from training. But then the fatigue, aches and pains got worse and my glands started to swell.

Sure enough, a blood test confirmed glandular fever and rest was ordered. The only problem with this treatment is that it works. You rest and you feel better. When I sit on the couch all day I feel ok. I feel like I can start doing things. But things, like taking a shower, cooking dinner or reading don't take long to tire me out. I'm on a see-saw at the moment, trying to balance my activities with rest.

I got it wrong initially. I was feeling good and it was my birthday. So we had an extended birthday dinner or two, with a quick chat to some high school students the morning in between. It was a bit of a mistake, doing too much too quickly, and I went downhill fast. My glands swelled to the point where swallowing was excruciatingly painful and I could do nothing but sleep and complain. It took almost a week to recover from the swollen glands but a short course of steroids did wonders making my life instantly more enjoyable.

So now I'm back on the see-saw. I am so sick of the couch and watching TV and the little outings I am able to go on are gold. I am making progress and can't wait for the day when I am able to go for a short spin, then a long spin and finally get into training again. Some people will use setbacks as a sign to give up or stop but to me they show me how much I do enjoy training, competing and even working!

No comments: