Weight-loss Challenge Progress

Stage 1 - 4 kg down!


Monday, June 15, 2009

Every second counts

WA State Individual Time Trial Championships - Dardanup

Since I started doing TTs in October last year, this event has been a goal of mine. I knew that I was a bit excited about this event when I realised that I'd arrived in Dardanup before half the juniors (who were starting 2 hours in front of Snrs).

I'd had great preparation coming into the TT, which I have to thank my coach, Lorraine Schutz for, even though I haven't always been thankful for her taking me to my limits. I'd also hired some zipps from hirespeedwheels.com and was really looking forward to testing them out.

To the start line and then off... Well, we had a slight tail wind for the start of the course and I tried to hold back a little as I have a tendency to go out hard and crawl home. I was on target at the 7 km mark but the last hill before the turn around threw me as I didn't pick the best gear to attack it with. I knew the hills weren't as steep on the way back and hit them hard, trying to stay out of the saddle as long as possible.

My parents were out on the course and informed me (by screaming and waving) that I'd lost time to Anna. I knew it must be pretty significant by their level of excitement/desperation. Well it worked, and spurred me on because whilst the home straight was more downhill than uphill and technically easy, it was deceptively hard. I thought that I would easily be able to hold 40+ in the last few kms, but squeezing it out was much harder than anticipated.

Once over the finish line, I knew I'd given everything. My HR was higher than any other TT and there was only one place where I thought I could have gone faster (that damn hill on the way out). I never made up all of the time lost to Anna, being beaten by 4s, but was still very happy to get my third bronze medal at a State Championship. Sarah Kent, like Luke Durbridge, is still proving to be unbeatable and took out the championship by well over a minute.


Full results here

No comments: